Wednesday 23 October 2013

Vintage Hair

Last weekend I went to a vintage hair styling course run by the beautiful Ally from The Vintage Valley (one of my favourite blogs, you should check out this seriously stylish lady!). Along with 20 other vintage fanatics and plenty of champagne I learnt I how to do pin curls, the Gibson tuck, victory rolls and a few other bits and pieces. It was so much fun! I have been trying (fruitlessly) for quite awhile to master vintage pin curls, so it was wonderful to have someone so experienced show me what to do. 


Since the course I have been playing around with my hair trying to replicate what I learnt. One of the things I struggle with the most is that vintage hair styles generally require your hair to be curled and my long thick, mostly strait, hair does not hold curl at all. I've tried hot rollers, curling wands and my GHD irons numerous times over the years trying to curl my hair, but after 20 minutes the curls are limp and then after another 10 minutes they are gone. 




Somewhere recently I read about rag tie curls, I remember my mum putting bits of rag in my hair as a kid, so I thought I would give them a try. I cut up one of the boyfriend's old t-shirts and followed instructions from Esme and the Laneway and... IT WORKED! When I took out the rags the next day my hair was in ringlets! The curls stayed in place the whole day and even looked nice the day after. I'm never using my curling wand again!



Next time I put in the rag ties I'm going to use less fabric and make sure they aren't too close to my scalp so the curls aren't so tight. But all in all I am so happy with the outcome, who new perfect curls where only an old t-shirt away?! With my super curly hair I managed to create a couple of passable pin curls, I definitely need more practice, but I was happy enough with these to wear them out of the house and to work.



To match my (nearly) awesome hair I'm wearing a vintage dress, op shopped Witner shoes ($10 from Salvos) and a brooch from my Grandmother. 



No comments:

Post a Comment