Thursday 30 July 2015

Buy Nothing New


So you may remember back in January I pledged to Buy Nothing New for a whole year. Well, I’m half way there!! It’s officially six months of buying nothing new, and I’m pleased to say that except for one tiny slip up, I haven’t bought anything brand new for six whole months. So have I actually learnt anything? YES I HAVE...



1. I love to shop (duh) and even though I’m not buying new stuff, I’m still getting my retail fix through op shopping. Plus I get the same buzz out of shopping for other people as I do for myself. I JUST WANT TO BUY ALL OF THE STUFF (I’m a terrible consumer).

2. You can find almost anything you want second hand on eBay. Seriously, whenever I’ve suddenly decided I MUST OWN a certain piece of clothing or a particular accessory I’ve been able to track it down on eBay for a fraction of the price. That’s how I’ve managed to almost double my shoe collection this year… oops

3. If you don’t want to buy things then don’t look. This is an obvious one. A few weeks ago I found myself at Garden City looking for a birthday present for a friend. I was in Collette casually sifting through all of their sale jewellery and before I knew it I had bought myself a new necklace and a massive cocktail ring. It was only as I was walking out of the store that I realised I’m not meant to be buying anything. So the necklace and ring were gifted to my friend and I vowed to not go back to Garden City and tempt myself again.

4. This challenge isn’t about money. I thought I’d be saving heaps of coin, but I’m not really and that’s OK. This challenge is teaching me that I really don’t need to rely on shopping centres and department stores for anything. I can find everything I want second hand and I love that. In the past 6 months there has not been a moment were I’ve desperately wanted to hit up Kmart, Myer or Sportgirl. Salvos, Good Sammies and Vinnies maybe, but definitely not the high street chain stores.
 
5. Shopping from your own wardrobe is fun! This challenge has forced me to look at my existing wardrobe with fresh eyes and style pieces in different ways. I've been wearing items that haven't seen the light of day for ages, like this amazing vintage blouse that was nicked from my Aunt's fabulous collection. It's such a cool top, but also a bit crazy so I don't wear it much, but I'll never part with it. Seeing it sitting in my cupboard collecting dust was all the encouragement I needed to whip it out and wear it to work a few weeks ago!




So that’s my six month challenge up date. It’s never to late to join in the fun and pledge to Buy Nothing New. It’s not that hard, I promise!


Top: Vintage
Skirt: Claremont Vinnies $4
Shoes: Melissa x Karl Largerfeld
Sunnies: Ray Ban
 



2 comments:

  1. You've done very well. I found not op shopping the hardest part about No Buy July - I can take or leave the retail outlets most of the time but not ducking into my favourite op shops when I had the opportunity was really hard. Like you, I found I didn't spend so much in terms of dollar value but it was the habit of actually browsing, looking, shopping that I was trying to challenge. Only 8 hours to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, giving up op shopping would be SO HARD! Every now and then I think about trying to do it, but I never follow through. Op shopping is my stress-relief and mood lifter and favourite hobby all rolled in to one. I can never resist having a peak if I pass an op shop!

      Delete