Wednesday 30 October 2013

Selective Shopping

I have a confession to make… I’m not very good at knowing what clothes will be ‘keepers’ when I’m shopping. Actually, I’m terrible at it. This is the reason I am constantly editing my wardrobe and donating bags of clothes to friends and back to op shops. I wish I had a better knack for knowing what I’ll get the most use out of, it’s definitely a skill I need to work on! 



For the last two months I have been recording how much money I spend op shopping and what items I’m buying. In October I spent $109 and bought four dresses, six tops, a pair of pants, a skirt, a belt, a bag and two scarves. Of that loot, I’ve already given a dress and two tops away to friends after deciding they weren’t for me. Luckily the average cost of each item is $7, so it’s not like I’m wasting heaps of money (and spending money in op shops is never a waste, because it goes to charity!) but I do wish I had a better eye for things that will be long term wardrobe additions. 



I have been trying really hard recently to be sensible with my op shopping and have been looking for items that will help me create more outfits out of my existing wardrobe, rather than buying something that requires a specific top/shoes/belt that I don’t already own. I saw a sleeveless white shirt with a tie up waist in Sportsgirl for $90 (choke!!) and knew that it was the missing piece to my summer wardrobe. I’m not prepared to spend $90 on much and certainly not a plain white top. Luckily for me I found this little white cotton top at the South Street Salvos for $4 last week. I’ve worn it twice already and I know it’s going to be perfect for many of my colourful skirts. 




This outfit is all pretty new actually. My skirt was $7 from Vinnies and my green croc print bag was $5 from Salvos. My blue flats are old Kenneth Cole ones and my little diamante brooch is from my Grandma. I’m going to continue recording how much I spend and what I buy in the hope that it will force me to be a bit more careful/selective with my clothes. Buying 16 items in one month is pretty ridiculous and I know I need to cut down, does anyone have any tips for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment