Wednesday 25 June 2014

Sewing Pile: Conquered!

My sewing pile has been slowly taking over my laundry cupboard, so the other day when I tried to shove yet another skirt in there and it all toppled down, I knew it was time to get out my sewing machine. 



I’ve been steadily making my way through the pile over the past week, it’s such a satisfying feeling when my alterations actually work. I’m not a master seamstress by any means and I often ruin things when I try to alter them, but lately I’ve been having a lot of luck. This shift dress has been in the pile for a few months. It’s vintage Laura Ashley and was a size 16, it was also on the $2 rack at Salvos so I just couldn’t leave it behind.




I took in all the seams and darts and made the arm holes a little smaller. I’m pretty impressed with my effort and I’m so glad I managed to make the dress wearable because it’s so lovely. Layered with my silk pussy bow blouse and vintage 60s coat, I felt very glam going into work.




Unfortunately these pictures don’t show my new Repetto ballet flats very well. I’ve been lusting after a pair of Repetto flats for awhile, but could never justify the price. Luckily for me though I found a never been worn pair in my size in Dress Circle (a fantastic consignment store in Nedlands) for $55. They truly are the most comfortable shoes ever and even though I got them for cheap, I’d say they might actually be worth the hefty price tag.

 
Dress: Laura Ashley, Op Shop
Blouse: Sportscraft, Op Shop
Coat: Vintage, Amsterdam street market*
Shoes: Repetto, Dress Circle
Stockings: Leona Edmiston 


*Jacket number 10!

PS. the wind in Freo is clearly not conducive to successful hair in outfit shots!

No comments:

Post a Comment